Adventures of a caregiver - 1

The night before the day I'm supposed to leave I hardly get any sleep. I always feel this way whenever I'm off to a new placement. Will this person like me? Will we get along? Hows it all going to be? I always ask myself the same questions which I know I won't be able to answer until I'm finally there.
And the usual long train journeys don't make it any better. But there's probably one thing that's more dreading than going to a new placement, and that's leaving my husband behind. But oh well, one needs to do what one has to do to put food on the table.
So on the day I'm as jittery as hell. Butterflies in my stomach all the way to the front door of my client. So far, I've been welcomed with smiles and warmth by all the clients I've been to. 

It's really about why I'm there in the first place. This is not a 'job', it's a way of life, it's a noble service. Granted, I get paid for it. But it is more than your usual 9-5. It's is the selfless giving of your time and love, and attention to a total stranger all because you care enough to make a difference in their lives. I've seen first hand how a vulnerable person lights up when they realise there's someone there who's there for them, to listen, to engage in conversation, to help them do that stuff that they once used to do by themselves, without aid. And I feel privileged to be able to do this.
Obviously, not everyone can take on this sort of responsibility. It entails a lot. Being responsible for someone's life and sometimes property is a huge thing. It's a special person's kind of thing. And that's why I get so irritated when I hear of so called carers mistreating patients in care homes and hospitals. It's like, you obviously don't have it in you to be a carer so bugger off! A carer should treat people how he/she wants to be treated if they were in that same position.

So here we are. I am sat here next to my client. She's trying to read what I'm typing and I'm reading it out loud as I type so she can feel included. 
The butterflies in my stomach have long gone. She was only a stranger the very first time. Even though her memory is deteriorating she still remembers me, so that's ok. We live one day at a time and take each challenge as it comes. The evening news should be on soon and then it's dinner time.
:)



Comments

  1. Very Nice Blog there!
    Helping Hands Home Care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ewwww! ... Spiders

Cyberbullying

It's been too long