Cyberbullying

So I've just been reading a Reveal article online which talked about Cyberbullying. A Keeley Houghton was jailed for writing on Facebook that she was going to murder a fellow mate.
She obviously regrets it now and is speaking out so people can understand that making such threats is a very serious offence. Here is the full article: http://www.reveal.co.uk/real-life-stories/news/a514907/keeley-houghton
-i-was-jailed-for-cyber-bullying.html

From what the article says, I would say that this lady just made a thoughtless mistake. She was angry and just acted without really thinking about it, and the article does say that she removed the comment because she felt it was inappropriate.

But what about the Internet trolls of today? I wouldn't compare Keeley Houghton to a troll because the latter don't even know their victims. They have no relationship with them at all and it could be concluded that the only reason they do what they do is to cause pain and suffering to their victims. They don't really care how it affects other people. They feel that they can just hide behind the pc screen and hurl abuse at anyone. These trolls must be stopped.

It wouldn't affect me. I think I do remember being bullied a bit at school but I never let it get to me to the point where I was afraid of going to school because I'd have to face these bullies. I'd usually defend myself and I would always tell my mother everything when I got home, and sometimes she would intervene and scare these bullies off for me. 
I haven't had the misfortune of meeting a troll online yet, but I highly doubt that I would even consider killing myself because some stranger online told me to. Sounds pretty pathetic to me. I always read about these young girls and boys who commit suicide because of bullying/Cyberbullying and I'm like: "why on earth? How hard is it to talk to your parents or get some counsel/advice?"
Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it's deeper than I think. 

I also read an article yesterday in a magazine about this girl who overdosed and tried to kill herself because her classmates said she was so ugly she was better off dead. Clearly, I would have thought that she knew herself better. After looking in the mirror I'm sure she knew what she saw. I personally thought she is super pretty. Her parents must have told her too. So why believe your class mates? Eventually she realised that they were all just jealous of her beauty. Honestly, young people need to really start standing on firmer ground and not just believe all the negative things they are told.
Some people are in this world for no good purpose, so the sooner they realise that no one cares what they have to say, the sooner they will disappear I believe.
Like the article above says, always report it to the police when someone makes silly threats online. But do not take it to heart, do not believe anything these trolls say.
Tell others when you are being bullied in school. Don't let the bullies succeed in scaring you. There's only so much they can do and you have the power to stop them.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ewwww! ... Spiders

It's been too long